Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Turkey Chili - Easy way to have success

Okay - don't count on 4 posts a day. It's just "getting started" day. :-)


Today's crock pot meal was a yummy turkey chili. Now, for those of you in Houston, you might wonder why I didn't cook this yesterday when we were having a cooler, rainy day - but instead waited until it was beautiful outside. I know chili is customarily a cold-weather meal, but this recipe made it worth it (and besides, we were still finishing up leftovers last night). 


Let me start by saying, it's amazing what happens when you (mostly) follow the recipe.

Today's recipe is "Dawn's 4-Bean Turkey Chili" from page 179 of Fix-it and Forget-it Lightly: Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker (recipe below).


This is one of those recipes though that sort of supports my argument that crock pot cooking only works because I work from home. Because the cook time was 6-7 hours on low, I needed to get it going around 11am in order to be ready at dinner time. Or, are you going to tell me that this is just an argument for a fancier crock pot with a timer? 

At 11ish, I browned the ground turkey and then threw those in the pot while I sauteed the onions. Mixed everything together and turned it on. This is the first recipe that suggested a 4 qt pot and it actually filled it nearly to the top. That might be part of the success. This is the first time the edges didn't start to burn. But that might also be partly due to the fact that I stirred in a few times over the 7 hours it cooked. It didn't say to do that - but isn't that what you're supposed to do when food is cooking? Stir it occasionally? Is this one of those crock pot rules that I am just struggling to accept - you really do leave it alone?


I am learning to love the smell of food cooking in the crock pot! Helpful tip though - keep yourself busy otherwise you'll feel hungry all afternoon. Thankfully, I do actually WORK from home so I was busy all afternoon. And how great to wrap up work for the day, go straight to the kitchen, get out some dishes and serve up a home cooked meal! It sort of feels like cheating.

This by far has been my most successful crock pot meal to date. I see now why everyone recommends you start with a soup or stew (I guess chili counts?) because it's easy and the results are great! My husband really enjoyed it - his only complaint was that he wanted a higher meat-to-bean ratio (is that his Midwest upbringing rearing its head?). I can tell that the leftovers are going to be yummy too. This one will go on the list to make again.

Now for the recipe (my comments are in blue italics)

Dawn's 4-Bean Turkey Chili
(Dawn Day, Westminster, CA)

Makes 10 Servings
Use 4-qt Cooker

1 lb ground turkey, browned and drained (I had 1.2 lbs and my hubby still wanted more meat)
1 large onion, chopped (I sauteed the onions to take the "edge" off - mostly because my husband is not a big fan of onions)
6 oz can low-sodium tomato paste
2 tbsp chili powder
12 oz can chili beans, undrained
12 oz can kidney beans, undrained
12 oz can black beans, undrained
12 oz can pinto beans, undrained
12 oz can low sodium tomatoes with juice (my can was 14 oz but I like tomatoes)

  1. Combine browned ground turkey, onion, and tomato paste is slow cooker
  2. Add chili powder, beans and tomatoes. Mix well.
  3. Cover. Cook on low 6-7 hours. (I stopped here - didn't add anything to the top)
  4. Serve with grated low-fat cheddar cheese.
  5. Sprinkle individual servings with fresh parsley, if you wish.

Calories: 190
Fat: 2g
Sodium: 610mg
Fiber: 8g

8 comments:

  1. Ok, two things - 1) I am totally on board with you and the whole "don't leave an appliance unattended" thing. I can just see myself all in a panic all day at work thinking that the house is burning down just because I wanted to have a nice stew ready and waiting when I got home. And I agree about the cooking times - 6 to 7 hours? Who is really only at work for 6 to 7 hours? So I am generally a weekend crock pot cooker. 2) I cannot leave the food alone either! All day I find myself over there stirring and checking and tasting and stirring some more.

    This recipe sounds delicious; I'm going to try it out. Your husband and my husband seem to have similar tastes so I think I'll take your suggestions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess - thanks for validating that I'm not completely crazy due to a fear of leaving the crock pot unattended. :-) It's normal to worry that the house is burning down, right?

    Let me know how you and Justin like it once you have a chance to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, yum! We've cooked chili in a large stock pot on the stove, but haven't tried it in a crock pot. It must be so soft and good! Oh, and don't worry, it's supposed to get cold again, so we are still in the chili-is-acceptable weather. Hm.. how come we haven't had any chili this winter?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LaTanya Hollis WatsonMarch 19, 2010 at 8:57 AM

    I'm going to have some ready to eat for my husband when he gets home tonight!! I just finished my shopping list. What is the difference between a 12 oz can of chili beans and a 12 oz can of chili (that stuff I used to buy for Kyle when he was a teenager)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. LaTanya, I'm so excited to hear your hubby is coming home tonight! A great reason to celebrate!

    To answer your question - the canned chili you may have bought before is the end product (just warm it up and you have chili). The chili beans are just the beans, maybe in a little sauce - I think they're like pinto beans.

    Can't wait to hear what you think after trying this recipe! Please post back and let us know. :-)

    And I have some yummy new recipes to try for next week. Can't wait to share those with all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made it today! Delicious! I didn't follow the recipe exactly though (I never do). I used two pounds of turkey, which worked out really well. I also seasoned the turkey as I was cooking it with salt, pepper, paprika, cayanne and some worstchestershire sauce (however you spell that). And I used chili seasoned tomatoes and threw in a can of Rotel as well. Turned out great! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jess - so glad you guys enjoyed it! I really like the modifications you made, and will those a try next time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LaTanya Hollis WatsonMay 2, 2010 at 6:45 PM

    I'm making it again tonight!

    ReplyDelete