Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My Crock Pot

So, I thought I should start by sharing which crock pot I have. This was on my wish list this past year for Christmas, and thanks to my in-laws, I am the proud owner of the  Hamilton Beach 33134 3-in-1 Slow Cooker with 2-, 4-, and 6-Quart Crocks.
What I love about it is that it came with 3 different size bowls - 2 qt, 4 qt and 6qt. As I'm starting to check out recipes, I've found that size matters. So, having the flexibility to use a smaller or larger bowl is great! One of the things I'm learning is that it is best to make sure the crock pot is at least 2/3 full. If it's filled less than that, it starts to burn. I don't know yet what happens if it's more than that (I don't think I should try and find out either). So, having the flexibility of different sizes without purchasing 3 different crock pots (and then finding a place to store them) is awesome!


And besides, the muted colors of the bowls look really cute. :-)


But, they aren't kidding when they say the sides are hot! Yes, this sounds like an obvious thing to know - but remember....I'm a Crock Pot Virgin.

I've already heard there are other, fancier crock pots - ones with timers and such. Assuming this crock pot thing works out for me, what should I look for in my next crock pot? What model do you have and would you recommend it?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Karie,

    Congrats on the blogging and cooking adventures! My crockpot is a really old school Rival; 2 temp settings & 1 bowl. Anyhow, I have two friends who also requested crockpots for Xmas. Interestingly it's the same crockpot - It's an All Clad stainless steel. Looks fancy!

    When I'm in question about cooking related products I always refer to America's Test Kitchen/Cooks Illustrated. They do comparative tests and usually they are on the money. http://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-99009-Stainless-Steel-2-Quart-Cooker/dp/B0007SXBUQ

    Here's the CI comparision. They most highly recommend the All Clad. http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment/overview.asp?docid=10677

    Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Brandi! Wow - that looks like the big daddy of crock pots! Super nice! I figured I better start out with one that was a little less spendy until I figured out if I would really cook with it. :-) But I will definitely consider working up to this. Thanks so much for the link!

    ReplyDelete